In the Episcopal Church, the Vestry is an elected body of lay people who share in the work of parish leadership with the clergy. Congregations participate in the overall mission of the Church, which is “to restore all people to unity with God and each other in Christ” as it “prays and worships, proclaims the Gospel, and promotes justice, peace, and love” (from the Catechism in the Book of Common Prayer, 1979).
All Saints’ Parish is committed to the twin goals of strengthening relationships among parish members and reaching out to the wider community; the parish is more particularly committed to renewing and enriching its liturgical life of worship with the hope of deepening its involvement in “creation care” and LGBT-related concerns as part of the ongoing work to advance the common good along the southwest Michigan lakeshore region and beyond.
Members of the Vestry should be prepared to offer their “time, talent, and treasure” to that shared ministry of this congregation and exhibit the following:
- A commitment to the transformative power of the Gospel of Jesus Christ to change lives and inspire the full thriving of the whole of God’s creation.
- A proactive engagement with the responsibilities of parish leadership by attending all Vestry meetings, the annual Vestry Retreat, and all major parish events.
- Enthusiastic participation in developing strategic goals for the parish, facilitating partnerships in the wider community, raising congregational visibility and engagement in the Diocese of Western Michigan (and beyond), and assisting the clergy and other lay leaders in implementing ministry-oriented parish programs.
- Significant offerings of time by joining with the parish in worship on Sunday mornings and other occasions, including serving as ushers, greeters, lay readers, and other roles as appropriate.
- Contributions of particular talents in both strengthening parish relationships and reaching out to the wider community in mission-oriented activities.
- Donations of treasure to the annual stewardship campaign for financial support in ways appropriate to one’s own resources.
Cultivating lay leadership and recruiting volunteers for Vestry committees are ongoing at All Saints’ Parish. Please consider prayerfully how God might be calling you to offer your time and talent for our shared ministry in this place.
Fran Oleson, Senior Warden – firstname.lastname@example.org – 810-730-1261 (mobile) – 269-857-5201 (parish office)
Linda McRoy, Junior Warden – email@example.com – 616-335-8701 – 269-857-5201 (parish office)